Thursday, March 31, 2011

Accept This Sacrifice

Hand in hand, you grew, my sons
Best friends, best brothers
I watched you grow, beautifully unfurling
Like flowers in the morning sun
I rejoiced at your accomplishments
And soothed your fears
I lived for the day
When I would see your youthful faces
Smiling, radiant grooms
Every night, at the darkest hour
I would pray for you to be worthy
Before Him and men
Hand in hand I watched you plot
How to convince him it was your turn
To drink at the cooling Kawthar
I held back my tears of pride
As you pleaded with your uncle for permission
Relieved, with you,
When you finally got the word
When you came to say goodbye
I hope you only knew how much I said
That was drowned
In my silence
And the enemy’s taunts
An arrow pierced my heart
When I heard the cry “Uncle!”
Only
Within a breath
To hear another call
Two bodies, one soul
Each said to Husayn, go be with the other
He needs you more
Your uncles brought you home
Two moons in my lap
For a moment
That I pray will light my path
Your radiance lit up my dark dark day
And I could smile through my tears
And say
“My Lord! Accept this our humble sacrifice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment