Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fourteen Pieces

I walk in the garden of the beloved
Smelling the flowers as I go
I come to the Khitaam, glowing in the beauty of his green bright dome
One whiff of its fragrance and I was borne
To Madinah, to every wanderer a home
I have reached my end, resolved, here I will stay
A voice from afar, a call from the brother of Rasool
To the Ameer, the zawj of Batool
My heart is broken, and I leave with a piece
For without the Habib I cannot be at peace
Before I arrive, a glow, a musk, a spark
The jewel of Kufa, to Najaf the adornment, the mark
At the door I am breathless
At last I have arrived
For once in my life I feel I am needless
Yet just before I can set my roots
A heartbreaking call from Madina breaks my shoots
To Zahrah to Hawraa
To the noble son Hassan
Pieces of my heart I leave amongst the flowers of Baqee
To the holy meadow I must go
Where the rose of martyrdom got its perfume and its glow
On the sacred ground I bow and I grow
From the thirsty ‘Abbas to Husayn the Shaheed
A cry from afar
Sukayna wants her Abaa
The ‘attar of haunting Damascus draws me near
At the hands of the noble daughter I lose my fear
To the land of the stranger
I will let my heart wander
Only to arrive and realize this is home
The Persian tulip has my heart attached to Mashad’s dome
Back and forth
From Ghadeer to Khurasaan, Kadhmayn to Jamkaraan
Have I any heart left to carry in my zamaan
Just then as I wonder I hear fajr’s adhaan
To open my eyes in the face of the awaited of the Ka’abah
The radiant flower of Zahrah
And enshrouded in a piece of the noble leafy turban
All fourteen pieces of my heart now awaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment